- RTD GEN VICE PRESIDENT CHIWENGA'S EX WIFE, MARRY MUBAIWA WAS YESTERDAY BROUGHT TO COURT IN AN AMBULANCE, carried into the building on a stretcher and then pushed into the courtroom on a wheelchair while on an intravenous injection, after a warrant of arrest was issued against her for failing to attend a court remand hearing on charges of attempted murder and externalising foreign currency.
- Johannesburg. — PRICES OF FOOD AND OTHER COMMODITIES are likely to increase as a backlash from the ongoing attacks on trucks in South Africa forces distributors to seek alternative logistics.
- SOME WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE POURING SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS of money through non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to unite feuding MDC factions.
- ABUKA. — 110 RICE FARMERS KILLED BY BOKO HARAM ISLAMIST INSURGENTS in Nigeria’s northeast , a United Nations official said.
- FORMER Finance Minister, Tendai Biti has described as a ‘bank heist', businessman Kuda Tagwirei's reported acquisition of ZB Bank and becoming a major shareholder against the provisions of the Banking Act.
352 JUNIOR COPS DRAFTED INTO POLICE CRACK UNIT specifically to deal with protests earlier this year, have all been transferred to the ZRP’s para-military Support Unit .
According to a police internal communication, all officers who have been undergoing training on how to deal with protests since the lockdown began have been posted to various Support Unit stations across the country.
Over 600 are said to have undergone the special anti-riot training at Shamva Battle Camp and Ntabazinduna Police Depot.
The all-male unit was created during the time the opposition and associated civic groups had intensified calls to roll out protests against the Zanu-PF led government.
The officers underwent initial training at Buchwa before being called up again from their various bases to continue right through the lockdown period.
“The transfers have been approved and should be implemented accordingly,” reads the statement.
“Officers commanding provinces who are receiving transferred members are encouraged to facilitate their smooth transportation if necessary.
“Members transferring out of province should commence preparations for departure and are expected to report to their new stations not later than 06 November 2020.
“Thereafter officers in charge should submit casualty returns.”
The special anti-riot training in question has for over the last months been dismissed by Information Ministry permanent secretary Nick Mangwana as mere fabrications by government enemies.
Some of those who had been given leave to visit their homes were called up ahead of the 31 July protests, according to a source at the police headquarters.
Government last year poured some US$4.5 million towards capacitating the police deal with citizen rioting.
Besides trainings, the amount also procured new helmets, anti-riot uniforms, teargas, shields and baton sticks from South Africa.