- BETWEEN 50 000 AND 100 000 ZIMBABWEANS WILL DIE OF CORONAVIRUS in the next months, Bulawayo Mpilo Clinical Director Solwayo Ngwenya has foretold.
- INFORMATION MINISTRY PERMANANT SECRETARY NICK MANGWANA has hinted at a total lockdown of Harare and Bulawayo following a spike in Covid-19 positive cases in the two cities.
- A SENIOR Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (Zimra) Bulawayo, manager died on Sunday after being diagnosed with Coronavirus.
- MDC ALLIANCE LEADER, NELSON CHAMISA IN media backlash after addressing his inaugural e-rally using Shona language and failing to be inclusive. on Sunday.
- A POLICE OFFICER , Constable Cosmas Kwangwari, based at Chivhu Police Station died on the spot on Friday after he was run over by a haulage truck which had six passengers on board and was evading a roadblock at the 136-kilometre peg along the Harare-Masvingo Highway.ble
This was disclosed in Parliament on Monday before the Parliamentary Thematic Committee on Gender by Plan International gender adviser Tinotenda Hondo.
“A recent study by Plan International in Harare and Bulawayo shows 58% people in communities do not see anything morally wrong with men sleeping with girls under 18 years,” Hondo said.
“Of the men in the study who admitted to paying for sex, 40% had knowingly slept with sex workers as young as 11 years old, and only 11% knew that child marriage was prohibited.”
Hondo said cultural and religious practices were some of the fuelling factors of early child marriages, where some girls were given up as appeasement for ngozi, as a reward to a good son-in-law or even after the older sister dies a young girl was given in marriage to take over.
She said most of these cultural and religious practices were done clandestinely, while some families were in the habit of protecting rapist family members. by Thobekile Zhou.Source: Byo24News