- Bulawayo Police look for victim following her rape allegations against self-exiled G40 kingpin Professor Jonathan Moyo.
- TUGWI-MUKOSI, ZIMBABWE'S LARGEST DAM, is 89 percent full, and nearly spilling for the time since its construction.
- AS AT 19:00hrs GMT, USA marked a sombre covid death mark reaching 400,000 dead people from covid today...22hours before Donald Trump leaves the Oval office for good! UK covid death toll is 96,000 dead people
- AT LEAST 30 FAMILIES WHOSE HOMES HAD BEEN FLOODED following heavy rains in Gweru have been given shelter by the city council working with the District Civil Protection Unit
- ZIMBABWE RECORDED 60 COVID-19 DEATHS IN 24 hours on Monday
Dennis Mazarira (40) of Chinotimba in Victoria Falls who was being represented by Givemore Muvhiringi, was denying the rape charge when he appeared before Hwange regional magistrate Dambudzo Malunga on Wednesday.
Malunga, however, convicted and sentenced him to 10 years in jail, but two years were suspended on condition of good behaviour for the next five years.
In passing sentence, the magistrate said Mazarira did not show any remorse for his actions and instead gave a “movie style” defence stating that he came from the beer hall drunk and stripped naked in his room intending to sleep. Malunga said Mazarira further claimed that suddenly the 15-year-old girl appeared from nowhere pulled him to her bedroom and locked him inside.
The girl testified over three days as she suffered three separate epileptic attacks, while giving evidence forcing the court to adjourn prematurely each day.
Prosecutor Bheki Tshabalala told the court that on August 31 this year at 9pm, Mazarira sneaked into the girl’s room. The girl had taken epileptic tablets and was feeling dizzy at that moment. He stripped her naked and raped her.
The girl woke up and discovered Mazarira in the act of raping her. She jumped off and ran out of the room before locking the door from outside. She informed their neighbour about the rape.
The neighbour visited the room and found Mazarira still in and a police report was made leading to the arrest of the rapist. source-newsday