- 25 DEAD, 60 INJURED AFTER GUNMEN OPENED FIRE ON AN IRANIAN MILITARY PARADE- Gunmen have opened fire on an Iranian military parade in the south-western city of Ahvaz, killing at least 25 people, including civilians, and injuring 60, state media say
- MDC ALLIANCE LEADER NELSON CHAMISA has ordered Victoria Falls mayor Somvelo Dhlamini to step down.
- ZIMBABWE CIRCUS CONTINUES AS the Ambrose Mutinhiri-led National Patriotic Front has disbanded and its officials are rejoining Zanu-PF after realising that the events that led to the removal of the Robert Mugabe-led government in November last year were in the best interests of the country.
- VICE PRESIDENT RTD GEN CHIWENGA advised to sieze total Zimbabwe power at all costs amid reported growing suspicion by his personal military advisor and confidant, exiled and fallen Ethiopian autarch, Mengistu Haile Mariam,
- 'ACCIDENT: A Guruve bound, Mhofu kombi reportedly overturned in Guruve and six people died this morning at about 8am'
GOVERNMENT INVOKES (32) (c) OF CIVIL PROTECTION ACT OF CHAPTER 10.06 of 1989 and offers $200.00 per deceased in horror crash at the 8 kilometre peg along the Bulawayo-Gwanda road on Wednesday night that killed 14 people
THE Government has said relatives of 14 people who died in a horror crash at the 8 kilometre peg along the Bulawayo-Gwanda road on Wednesday night will receive assistance from the State to bury their loved ones.
Local Government Public Works and National Housing Minister Cde Saviour Kasukuwere said “I have since invoked Section (32) (c) of the Civil Protection Act Chapter 10.06 of 1989 and therefore assistance of $200.00 per deceased is being rendered to the bereaved,” said the Minister.
13 people died on the spot, and Bulawayo Chief Fire Officer Mr Richard Peterson said another accident victim died on admission to the United Bulawayo Hospitals, bringing the death toll to 14.
Those who died were mourners from two families who were going to a funeral in Masvingo.
Mourners from two families were travelling in the kombi with the body of a 14-year-old boy in a coffin, when the haulage truck coming from the opposite direction allegedly hit a pothole and jackknifed into the lane of oncoming traffic.
It collided with the kombi and dragged it for a distance.
The truck’s load — tonnes of glass and wooden pallets — crushed the kombi.
The accident occurred when a haulage truck hit a pothole and veered off the road resulting in its trailers colliding with a kombi carrying mourners.
Meanwhile, police yesterday released the names of the people who perished in the road accident : Gift Sibanda (43), Gracious Sibanda (41), Luke Sibanda (65), Sovia Sibanda (37), Agnes Ngwenya (55), Danisani Masukume (40), Esther Moyo Mangena (21), Gladys Nyathi (65), Grace Ndemera (48), Magret Dube (46), Rebecca Dube (65), Sinikiwe Mangena (32) and Yvonne Machingauta (32).
d.Auxilia Katongomara, Chronicle