- RTD GEN VICE PRESIDENT CHIWENGA'S EX WIFE, MARRY MUBAIWA WAS YESTERDAY BROUGHT TO COURT IN AN AMBULANCE, carried into the building on a stretcher and then pushed into the courtroom on a wheelchair while on an intravenous injection, after a warrant of arrest was issued against her for failing to attend a court remand hearing on charges of attempted murder and externalising foreign currency.
- Johannesburg. — PRICES OF FOOD AND OTHER COMMODITIES are likely to increase as a backlash from the ongoing attacks on trucks in South Africa forces distributors to seek alternative logistics.
- SOME WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE POURING SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS of money through non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to unite feuding MDC factions.
- ABUKA. — 110 RICE FARMERS KILLED BY BOKO HARAM ISLAMIST INSURGENTS in Nigeria’s northeast , a United Nations official said.
- FORMER Finance Minister, Tendai Biti has described as a ‘bank heist', businessman Kuda Tagwirei's reported acquisition of ZB Bank and becoming a major shareholder against the provisions of the Banking Act.
THE MDC says First Lady Grace Mugabe might be the “world’s first female dictator” and seek to torment her adversaries in Zanu-PF, Southern Eye reported.
MDC national organising secretary Shepherd Dube yesterday told Southern Eye that developments on the ground showed that Grace was keen to take over power from her husband, President Robert Mugabe.
“In case Grace Mugabe becomes President, within the first three months of her rule she will arrest many Zanu-PF and opposition politicians, and amend the Constitution to make herself the life President of Zimbabwe,” Dube said.
“In my view, after Mugabe goes, there will either be a civil war in Zimbabwe that will not last more than three months or Grace Mugabe will become the life President.”
Dube also said former Vice President Joice Mujuru was not yet “completely out of the Zanu-PF succession debate” because she had more backing from the military than both the First Lady and Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
“As Jonathan Moyo says, Mnangagwa is not a crocodile but a mere ambitious lizard. In terms of military backing, Mujuru actually has more military backing than both Mnangagwa and Grace. And I am not one of those people who believe that Mujuru is completely out of Zanu-PF succession race,” Dube said.
Mujuru was fired from Zanu-PF along with over 141 of her perceived loyalists on allegations of plotting against Mugabe. She is linked to a new political movement, People First that aims to challenge Mugabe’s hegemony in the 2018 general elections.
Mnangagwa and Grace are reportedly in a succession tussle as Mugabe advances in age.
Dube said the military would likely be hostile to a Mnangagwa rule in support of Mujuru. – Source-southern eye