- BETWEEN 50 000 AND 100 000 ZIMBABWEANS WILL DIE OF CORONAVIRUS in the next months, Bulawayo Mpilo Clinical Director Solwayo Ngwenya has foretold.
- INFORMATION MINISTRY PERMANANT SECRETARY NICK MANGWANA has hinted at a total lockdown of Harare and Bulawayo following a spike in Covid-19 positive cases in the two cities.
- A SENIOR Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (Zimra) Bulawayo, manager died on Sunday after being diagnosed with Coronavirus.
- MDC ALLIANCE LEADER, NELSON CHAMISA IN media backlash after addressing his inaugural e-rally using Shona language and failing to be inclusive. on Sunday.
- A POLICE OFFICER , Constable Cosmas Kwangwari, based at Chivhu Police Station died on the spot on Friday after he was run over by a haulage truck which had six passengers on board and was evading a roadblock at the 136-kilometre peg along the Harare-Masvingo Highway.ble
Melinkosi Ndlovu, 19, and Bhekimpilo Dube, 20, both of Colleen Bawn area pleaded not guilty to rape.
However, regional magistrate Joseph Mabeza convicted them due to overwhelming evidence.
They will each serve an effective four years imprisonment after the magistrate suspended three years of the sentence for five years on condition that they will not commit a similar offence within that period.
Prosecuting, Mncedisi Dube said the two men assaulted the girl and forced her to be intimate with one of them.
“On October 29, 2015 at around 6PM and at Oakley Block Resettlement, the complainant was walking along a path in a bushy area on her way from school.
“Complainant met Dube who emerged from the bush and started running after her,” said the prosecutor.
The prosecutor said Dube grabbed the minor’s arm and dragged her into a bush, where Ndlovu was waiting.
The duo force marched the girl to a nearby hill where they told her that she must be intimate with both of them but the complainant did not respond, the court heard.
Ndlovu, the prosecutor said, instructed Dube to fetch a switch while he held the girl.
“The two assaulted the complainant with a switch several times on her legs trying to force her to be intimate but she refused. Ndlovu then raped the complainant once,” the prosecutor said.
“While this was happening Dube was standing at a distance of about two metres watching.”
After raping the girl, the duo threatened to harm her if she told anyone about the incident.
The girl told her mother leading to the duo’s arrest. By Marvelous Moyo. Source: chronicle