- UNITED STATES CONFIRMED CORONAVIRUS CASES REACH 7,099,967 just days after reaching the 200,000 deaths mark.
- OUTSPOKEN CLERIC ,ALSO ONE OF PRESIDENT MNANGAGWA'S TOP ADVISORS, Shingi Munyeza, (pictured below), yesterday said the Zimbabwe's crisis is man-made, and mainly centred on unresolved succession matrix.
- BOY (7) MURDERED, HEAD , NECK, ARMS AND LEGS HACKED OFF, IN MUREWA.A 7-year-old boy from Makore Village under Chief Mangwende in Murewa was allegedly murdered last week in a suspected case of ritual killing
- ZIMBABWE NATIONAL STUDENTS UNION (ZINASU) PRESIDENT Takudzwa Ngadziore was denied bail on Monday after a magistrate said he was a threat to public safety.
- MUM OF THREE, (31) NHS ROTHERHAM OPERATING DEPARTMENT worker chased down street and stabbed to death with machete by estranged husband (41)
GWERU City Council’s Human Resources Manager was on Friday dragged to court by two Midlands State University (MSU) students after he allegedly demanded sex from them to facilitate industrial attachment for them at the local authority.
Rodgers Chanda, 41, of Southdowns in Gweru, appeared before Provincial Magistrate Phathekile Msipha facing one count of abuse of office and another count of attempted rape.
He was remanded out of custody on free bail to tomorrow. Through his lawyer Brian Dube of Gundu and Dube law Practitioners, Chanda pleaded not guilty to both counts. “Your worship, my client pleads not guilty to both counts,” said Dube.
Prosecuting, Ernest Muzembi, told the court that sometime in January this year, a female MSU student, went to the council offices to leave her attachment documents. “She left her documents at Chanda’s office and after she left, he later called her advising her to fall in love with him so that he would secure an attachment place for her,” said Muzembi.
He said that she turned down Chanda’s proposal and because of that, she did not get the attachment. Muzembi told the court that during the same period another MSU student left her documents at the council offices. He said that Chanda proposed love to her and she turned him down.
“When she got an attachment, Chanda continued to propose love to her but to no avail,” said Muzembi.
The court heard that sometime in February this year, Chanda called her to his office and started caressing her before removing his trousers.
Muzembi said Chanda grabbed the student and he tried to undress her.
He said Chanda’s phone rang, distracting him, and the student grabbed the chance to run out of his office.
A report was made to the police leading to his arrest.