- Nine people died in an accident between a Greenfuel sugar cane truck and a kombi in Manzvire, 10km from Checheche, Manicaland today, with 17 passengers instead of the authorised 15 passengers.
- ACCIDENT: AN INTERCAPE BUS from Johannesburg South Africa to Malawi overturned this morning in Nyanda, about 15 kilometres from Masvingo.
- GEORGE HW BUSH, Ex US PRESIDENT (94), father of George W Bush, has died aged 94.
- LABOUR MP LlOYD RUSSELL-MOYLE HAS TOLD told the House of Commons he is HIV positive during a debate about World AIDs Day.
- INFORMATION IS POWER!-Please email all your articles, photos and breaking news, to email@example.com ,
FORMER home affairs minister Obert Mpofu has claimed that snipers were likely placed on top of Harare buildings on the day post-election violence rocked Harare, leaving six people dead and several others injured.
Mpofu, now a full-time employee of the ruling Zanu-PF party, appeared Tuesday before Commission of Inquiry probing the deadly August 1 clashes.
The former cabinet minister blamed the opposition for the violence, adding that he phoned MDC leader Nelson Chamisa appealing with him to take his supporters off the streets of the capital.
He told the Commission that he recorded the phone conversation, “as I always do with suspicious characters. That recording will give you a story … he (Chamisa) admitted that he had lost the elections.”
The recording was made available to the Commission which is led by former South Africa president Kgalema Motlanthe.
Mpofu also rejected opposition charges that soldiers deployed to assist police in quelling the violence were responsible for the fatalities.
He claimed that the killings were carried out by snipers placed on top on buildings by the opposition.
More to follow…..
Source – newzimbabwe