- POLITICS IS A DIRTY GAME: HERO TO ZERO IN 37 YEARS: Independence 18 April 1980- Coup on 14 November 2017
- SUSPENDED (ZINARA CEO Engineer Nancy Masiyiwa-Chamisa and finance director Taranhike fired, for alleged gross incompetence and abuse of office.
- (RBZ) orders banks to freeze all accounts belonging to, Kudakwashe Tagwirei a.k.a 'Queen Bee's Sakunda Holdings, Sakunda Holdings sister companies; Access Finance, Spartan Security and Croco Motors,
- SHEFFIELD CLIMATE CHANGE PROTEST: brought city to a standstill as children lobby the government and people over the destruction of the climate,
- UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE 2019 class of graduating medical students to boycott their graduation due to be capped by President Mnangagwa.
An estimated 20 000 people, mainly supporters of the late former Vice-President Joshua Nkomo, were massacred after Mugabe deployed the 5 Brigade to hunt dissidents in the region during early years of Zimbabwe’s independence.
Sibanda said Gukuruhundi was just one of the dark episodes where Mugabe’s intervention was needed to find closure.
“For example, we have the Gukurahundi issue. The boys who participated in the killings that affected more than 50 000 people have medals for the Matabeleland campaign,” he said.
“It means these soldiers were rewarded for the campaign. We reconciled, but nobody gave an apology, we just decided to work together.
“Mugabe did not ask for forgiveness. He blamed it on madness, but did not identify who the mad person was.
“If there is going to be closure, then that medal should be cancelled.”
The outspoken former Zimbabwe National Liberation War Veterans’ chairperson said Zimbabwe risked descending into anarchy.
“Mugabe must find it in himself to call other leaders and so that this thing is closed for good,” he said.
“We do not want to be another Germany that decades after World War (II), they are still hunting down the Nazi officers.
“We want those boys (former 5 Brigade soldiers) to walk freely, but with the way Mugabe has handled this thing, it will continue to fester. Look at what he is doing now.”
Sibanda said he was now convinced that the Gukurahundi campaign was a deliberate plot to exterminate the Ndebele people and Zapu.
“The Zanu-PF chairmanship has always by practice been a Zapu position and they have abolished it. The Vice-Presidency elected by congress is gone and he has taken away the Home Affairs portfolio,” he said.
“It is becoming glaringly clear that the objectives of Gukurahundi are being finalised,” he said.
“To destroy Zapu, to destroy the Ndebeles, now it is obvious these were the objectives.
“If Mugabe leaves a State with such negative feelings towards each other, he would never be remembered the way he would want.
“We do not want a baboon culture in which if the big male grows old, they are chased away.
“We expect Mugabe to fully take responsibility and take charge of the situation,” said Sibanda, adding Mugabe needed to accept that “we have a national problem”.
Vice-President Phelekezela Mphoko recently came under fire after he claimed that Gukurahundi was a Western conspiracy and had nothing to do with MugabeSource: newsday