- 'COURT UPHOLDS charges against this flag Mawarire, trade unionists Mutasa and Moyo, of trying to subvert a constitutionally elected government'
- SADC REGION DECLARE 25 th October as solidarity day against sanctions on Zimbabwe , and war vets recommend anti-sanctions holiday on 25 th October
- ' A BULAWAYO TOUT (33) KILLED his cousin (40) with an iron bar and broomstick then reported to police that he had found him dead.'
- ZANU PF dep youth league leader Matutu says Prof Moyo has lost relevance and is a useless and permanent fugitive.
- Coltart says Mnangagwa's intensifying of crackdown against the opposition, use of brute force to crush people's dissent indicates gvt fear of the new wave
The appointment is with immediate effect.
Moyo posted on his official Facebook account this morning:
“Comrades, yesterday (Monday) the Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet Dr Misheck Sibanda announced my appointment by President Robert Mugabe to be Commissioner of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission. The appointment is with immediate effect”.
His post has attacked scores of goodwill congratulatory messages from political activists to journalists.
MDC Legal secretary David Coltart said, “I hope your first job will be to see that the electoral Act and Constitution is complied with – and in particular that political parties are provided with an electronic copy of the roll, which they have been denied unlawfully for so long. Your honour and integrity depend on this – I trust that if you find that you are not being listened to that you will then do the honourable thing and resign.
“The ZEC at present is a soiled, partisan, compromised body and your work is going to be cut out for you in changing it. If you remain silent then you will be perceived as just another appendage of a corrupt, brutal regime which has no respect for the rule of law or the will of the people”.
Former MDC-T Harare councillor Warship Dumba said “What is your pledge to the Zimbabwean people? What can we expect as your contribution towards making Zec a truly independent and credible electoral entity? Makorokoto, Amhlophe, Congratulations”
Herald editor, Caesar Zvayi was brief. He said “Makorokoto Commissioner”.
In March Parliament, interviewed candidates shortlisted as ZEC commissioners.
Of the 12 candidates shortlisted for two vacant posts at Zec, 10 turned up for the interviews.
They included Qhubani Moyo Bernard Chahuruva, Chakanyuka Karase, Jacob Gonese, Patrick Huni, Wenceslaus Mudyanadzo, Tayengwa Mutswe, Rukudzo Murapa, Paul Sambo, and John Saungweme. by Thobekile Zhou. Source: Byo24News