- MDC Alliance dismantling patriarchy towards a people’s movement, and promoting an inclusive people's movement that honours and respects women
- CYCLONE IDAI 300 bodies floating in water, 217 Missing, 102 Injured , 42 Marooned
- 'SEVERAL PEOPLE INJURED AFTER TRAM SHOOTING, one dead' in Dutch city of Utrecht
- Three suspected copper cable thieves were electrocuted today at Chestgate shopping centre in Chegutu -two dead
- 'BOEING SUCKED INTO controversial 'Simbabwe Airways' saga in which Simba Chikore (alias Mutsahuni), prejudiced the country of huge amounts of money between 2017 and 2018'.
This shocking disregard for gender equality and women empowerwerment was revealed by the Proportional Representation legislator Priscilla Misihairabwi-Mushonga .
It is known that Women are demanding equality in Zimbabwe or 50-50 representation in the forth coming harmonised election along with demanding that Zimbabwe’s Mnangagwa, Zanu pf stalwarts, securocrats and militarised regime should fully implement the SADC Gender Protocol.
The Proportional Representation legislator Priscilla Misihairabwi-Mushonga told the Electoral Amendment Bill Conference organised by the Election Resource Centre (ERC) that, since Zimbabwe’s political parties are not prepared to accept gender equality, it is better to force parties to accept this through the la, which must empower ZEC to reject any party’s list of candidates which fails to meet 50-50 representation or 210 Parliamentary posts for women in the forth coming harmonised election.
“ZEC must reject the lists as a way of forcing parties to put 50 percent representation of candidates. We had a women’s conference a month ago and there were 21 parties and only 14 of them signed to the Aspirational Charter on Gender Equality, but sadly both Zanu-PF and MDC refused to sign the Charter on Gender Equality, to ensure gender equality is achieved.
Its amazing that in this mordern day and age, Zimbabwe has such disregard for women empowerment, yet women are the majority of the electorate therefore the real game changers in any vote, as they can swing the vote depending on whom they vote for or not for that matter. For some reason, they still fail to come together, speak with one voice and fight for equality by making more informed choices and decisions about where they place their ‘X’ More news to follow. By Sibusiso Ngwenya