- ZIMBABWE HAS BEEN RANKED AS THE most "repressed" State globally amid concerns over a shrinking democratic space in the country
- CITY OF HARARE SERVICE MANAGER shoots man in the head during Warren Park bar row
- MAN shot dead in break-in at Central Intelligence Organisation deputy director Gatsha Mazithulela, Harare Home.
- BRIGADIER CHARLES KANETA (64) has died
- BREAKING NEWS:-The Queen has died
The Zimbabwe Republic Police on Sunday arrested Zimbabwe Human Rights Lawyer Douglas Coltart and charged him with Participating in gathering with intent to promote public violence, breaches of the peace or bigotry.
Announcing on a video posted on social media on Sunday Coltart said, “I have been called for questioning at Harare Central Police this morning in connection with the meeting yesterday from which 4 teachers were abducted and beaten by CIO and later handed over to the police. Would appreciate your prayers.”
The Code says that the crime of participating in a gathering with intent to promote public violence, a breach of the peace or bigotry is committed whether the action constituting it is spontaneous or planned in advance, and whether the place or meeting where it occurred is public or private.
The human rights lawyer was however released together with the four teachers after the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights dispatched a team of legal representatives to assist in the matter.
“I’ve been released after being charged with section 37 of the Criminal Code along with Roboh, Precious, Munya and Jess.” Coltart later said in an update. “Thank you ZLHR for the excellent legal representation from Denford Halimani and Tino Shoko. Aluta Continua!” Source – Byo24News