- 'EMBATTLED MDC-T VP Khupe approaches Justice ministry, demanding for US$1,8 million Political Parties Finance Act (PPFA) to be channelled to her faction'.
- APPROXIMATELY 30,000 PEOPLE ATTENDED TODAY'S MARCH AGAINST RACISM IN LONDON in an expression of unity against a rise in racism, Islamophobia and anti-Semitism.
- GRACE MUGABE NOW HAS A NEW GRAND DAUGHTER BORN TO her son Russel Goreraza's South African girl friend Dineo Gwendoline
- ANDREW NGWENYA a.k.a ANDY MURIDZO was hauled before the courts yesterday after he was involved in a hit-and-run accident that damaged three cars.
- A MUZARABANI WOMAN ALLEGEDLY THREW HER SIX WEEK OLD BABY on Wednesday down a blair toilet after a paternity row with her husband .
Revolutionary singer and songwriter Dick “Cde Chinx” Chingaira Makoni has died.Cde Chinx was confirmed dead at 10pm at West End Hospital in Harare on Friday after a long battle with blood cancer (leukaemia).
The Vanhu Vose VemuAfrica singer was born in Rusape on September 27 in 1952 and his music career dates back to the precolonial era
In 1975 Cde Chinx crossed into Mozambique where he joined the liberation struggle at the age of 20 years.
Continuing his passion for music he joined the Zanu PF People’s Choir whose purpose was to compose and perform war cries for the freedom fighters.
After independence in 1980, Cde Chinx continued writing and recording songs with liberation struggle inclined lyrics at some point engaging other musicians like the late Andy Brown and the famous Ilanga group which he was co-founder of.
Apart from music, he also pursued acting and in 1996 he starred in the movie Flame — a film depicting the war of liberation.
In the early 1990s his song Maruza Vapambe Pfumi got recognition from Mnet Africa for the best soundtrack in the movie Flame in which he played a major role.
His colourful career saw him winning numerous awards, including the National Arts Merit Awards and the Silver Jubilee Award.
In the early 2000s Cde Chinx through his music backed by the police band was very vocal in the agrarian reform releasing songs like Hondo Yeminda.
Earlier this year, he defied ill-health and released a seven-track album titled Good Zimbabwe with the assistance of Zimbabwe Prisons and Correctional Services Civic Education.
Cde Chinx is survived by two wives — Patricia and Ntombizodwa — and several children.
Mourners are gathered at the Chingaira home in Sentosa, Harare. The Standard.