- UNITED STATES CONFIRMED CORONAVIRUS CASES REACH 7,099,967 just days after reaching the 200,000 deaths mark.
- OUTSPOKEN CLERIC ,ALSO ONE OF PRESIDENT MNANGAGWA'S TOP ADVISORS, Shingi Munyeza, (pictured below), yesterday said the Zimbabwe's crisis is man-made, and mainly centred on unresolved succession matrix.
- BOY (7) MURDERED, HEAD , NECK, ARMS AND LEGS HACKED OFF, IN MUREWA.A 7-year-old boy from Makore Village under Chief Mangwende in Murewa was allegedly murdered last week in a suspected case of ritual killing
- ZIMBABWE NATIONAL STUDENTS UNION (ZINASU) PRESIDENT Takudzwa Ngadziore was denied bail on Monday after a magistrate said he was a threat to public safety.
- MUM OF THREE, (31) NHS ROTHERHAM OPERATING DEPARTMENT worker chased down street and stabbed to death with machete by estranged husband (41)
The army commander Tlali Kamoli, who mounted a brief coup against Thabane last August, appears to have launched a campaign to get rid of Thabane loyalists.
Mahao – whom Thabane appointed as army commander last August after firing Kamoli – was stopped by three Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) trucks as he left his farm on the outskirts of Maseru on Thursday and shot in front of his two children, according to relatives.
The soldiers told his 13-year-old son that they were taking his father to the hospital but instead took him to their barracks.
Later on Thursday night, Defence Minister Tseliso Mokhosi announced that a soldier had been killed by LDF members after allegedly resisting arrest. He did not even bother to mention Mahao by name.
Mahao’s family said that, according to his son, who was driving with his father, Mahao had surrendered and thrown his hands in the air immediately when one of the three LDF vehicles drove in front of and blocked his way. They fired anyway.
Mahao’s relatives petitioned the High Court early Friday after they had been denied access to Mahao’s body. The first court order issued by the High Court for the body to be released to the family was defied.
The LDF only released his body to a local mortuary after the family went to court for the second time on Friday.
Kamoli refused to appear before the High Court to explain what had happened to Mahao, instead sending a junior official who only told the court he had died in a “secret military operation”.
Mahoa’s killing follows the recent murder of prominent businessman, Thabiso Tsosane, a good friend of Thabane and funder of his All Basotho Convention (ABC).