- Doctors now in 2nd month of a strike, and Zimbabwe teachers will only work 2 days a week and no longer abide by the formal dress code
- Zimbabwe Gender Commission (ZGC) says tertiary institutions must introduce uniforms for female students, ostensibly to avoid sexual abuse.
- FORMER FINANCE MINISTER ,MDC Alliance VP Tendai Biti says Zimbabwe will collapse in six months owing to the run away inflation .
- A CHIMANIMANI woman Sibongile Mlambo like Grace Mugabe, locked up boyfriend Robert Manzou's body (40)for two days as she left for another binge.
- CHAMISA KHUPHE FIGHT in new twist in the battle for control of the MDC opposition party
A POTENTIALLY explosive debate awaits Parliament after Cabinet approved the amendment of the Marriages Act to effectively make it illegal for same sex marriages to be solemnised and recognised in the country.
During a post-Cabinet briefing yesterday, Environment, Tourism and Hospitality Industry minister Priscah Mupfumira said the executive had approved the amendment Bill, which among other things seeks to repeal and replace the Customary Marriages Act and merge it with the Marriage Act (Chapter 5:11) into one Act.
The highlight of the amendment is the prohibition of same sex marriages at a time the gays and lesbians community was looking at government to ensure that they enjoy more rights including legally marrying.
“The objectives of the Bill are … prohibition of same sex marriages and recognition of the supremacy of the Constitution which invalidates, any law practice and customand conduct inconsistent with the Constitution,” Mupfumira said.
Zimbabwe, largely a Christian nation, has been against same sex unions, with former President Robert Mugabe gaining political mileage in his Zanu PF party by declaring anopen war against the gay community.
He even called them “worse than pigs and dogs”, but the coming in of President Emmerson Mnangagwa had given the gays and lesbians hope that they could be accommodated. newsday.Photo- Environment, Tourism and Hospitality Industry minister Priscah Mupfumira