- RTD GEN VICE PRESIDENT CHIWENGA'S EX WIFE, MARRY MUBAIWA WAS YESTERDAY BROUGHT TO COURT IN AN AMBULANCE, carried into the building on a stretcher and then pushed into the courtroom on a wheelchair while on an intravenous injection, after a warrant of arrest was issued against her for failing to attend a court remand hearing on charges of attempted murder and externalising foreign currency.
- Johannesburg. — PRICES OF FOOD AND OTHER COMMODITIES are likely to increase as a backlash from the ongoing attacks on trucks in South Africa forces distributors to seek alternative logistics.
- SOME WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE POURING SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS of money through non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to unite feuding MDC factions.
- ABUKA. — 110 RICE FARMERS KILLED BY BOKO HARAM ISLAMIST INSURGENTS in Nigeria’s northeast , a United Nations official said.
- FORMER Finance Minister, Tendai Biti has described as a ‘bank heist', businessman Kuda Tagwirei's reported acquisition of ZB Bank and becoming a major shareholder against the provisions of the Banking Act.
THE OLDEST PERSON IN BRITAIN, Joan Hocquard (1908-2020) has died at the age of 112.
Joan Hocquard shared her birthday, 29 March 1908, with the world’s oldest man Bob Weighton, who died in Hampshire in May.
She died at her home in Dorset on Saturday, her nephew Paul Reynolds said.
Mr Reynolds said his aunt believed there was no secret to a long life and “enjoyed butter and cream and she scoffed at idea of dieting”.
Mrs Hocquard spent her early life in Kenya where her father was a British colonial officer.
She went to boarding school in Sussex and later worked as a cook at a hotel in Geneva.
Joan Hocquardimage captionMrs Hocquard moved to the south coast after World War TwoAt the start of World War Two she drove an ambulance in London, before moving to the south coast where she became a keen sailor, having learnt to sail on the Solent as a child while visiting her grandmother in Lymington.
She married Gilbert Hocquard, who shared her love of sailing and travelling. When he died in 1981, she moved to Lilliput, near Poole.
“She has always had an independent spirit and it was typical of her that on her 100th birthday she refused a card from the Queen because she did not want people to know how old she was,” Mr Reynolds told the Bournemouth Echo in August.
Mrs Hocquard was filmed with Mr Weighton in March as they celebrated their 112th birthdays.bbc