- RTD GEN VICE PRESIDENT CHIWENGA'S EX WIFE, MARRY MUBAIWA WAS YESTERDAY BROUGHT TO COURT IN AN AMBULANCE, carried into the building on a stretcher and then pushed into the courtroom on a wheelchair while on an intravenous injection, after a warrant of arrest was issued against her for failing to attend a court remand hearing on charges of attempted murder and externalising foreign currency.
- Johannesburg. — PRICES OF FOOD AND OTHER COMMODITIES are likely to increase as a backlash from the ongoing attacks on trucks in South Africa forces distributors to seek alternative logistics.
- SOME WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE POURING SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS of money through non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to unite feuding MDC factions.
- ABUKA. — 110 RICE FARMERS KILLED BY BOKO HARAM ISLAMIST INSURGENTS in Nigeria’s northeast , a United Nations official said.
- FORMER Finance Minister, Tendai Biti has described as a ‘bank heist', businessman Kuda Tagwirei's reported acquisition of ZB Bank and becoming a major shareholder against the provisions of the Banking Act.
THREE Gweru City Council (GCC) employees died on the spot after a tyre burst and car crash into a tree at the 98km peg along Harare- Masvingo road.
The trio has been identified as brothers Hosiah and Lewis Rufasha and Sydney Mbewe who were municipal police officers under the clamping department.
Council yesterday held a procession in their honour. From Nyaradzo the procession passed through Main Street before proceeding to the Boggie tower clock and to the Town House where a moment of silence was observed.
National Police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said the accident occurred on Friday around 1PM at the 98km peg along the Harare-Masvingo road.
“I can confirm that there was a fatal road accident which occurred at the 98km peg along Harare- Masvingo road. A vehicle with three occupants on approaching the kilometre peg veered off the road and hit a tree after one of its tyres burst. The driver lost control of the vehicle. The driver and the two other occupants died on the spot,” he said.
Asst Comm Nyathi said investigations were underway.
He urged drivers to take extra caution when they are on the road to avoid accidents which lead to the destruction of property and loss of life.
“Drivers can avoid speeding for example and exercise extreme caution on the road,” he said.
The trio had been sent by council to repossess a Toyota D4D Double Cab vehicle that was in the possession of former director of engineering services Engineer Robson Manatsa.Eng Manatsa resigned in July and allegedly went with the vehicle he was using as a condition of service.
However, council is said to have been against the move — a decision that saw the trio being tasked to repossess the vehicle.
GCC spokesperson Ms Vimbai Chingwaramusee said: “I can confirm the untimely passing of three of our municipal police officers who died in a road traffic accident around the Featherstone area along Harare-Chivhu road. They were on their way to Harare to tow back a council vehicle when the accident happened. We are still in a state of shock. We just heard that they had been involved in a road traffic accident and details are still sketchy.”
She said they were heartbroken by what happened adding that the trio was dedicated to their work.
Council sources said the council vehicle the trio was travelling in burst a right tyre forcing the driver to lose control of the car.
“We hear the front right tyre burst and the vehicle veered off the road, rolled before hitting some trees. The trio died on the spot,” said a council source.newsday