- BREAKING NEWS: -Foreign Affairs and International Trade Minister Sibusiso Moyo (SB) has died from covid and 52 people died from covid in the last 24 hours.
- ZIMBABWE RECORDED 60 COVID deaths in the last 24 hours and the capital city, Harare had the highest number with 36 deaths
- A ZIMBABWEAN WOMAN (48) WHO ASSISTED HER BOYFRIEND (36) to rape their 13-year-old daughter, was yesterday granted bail along with her lover by the Bulawayo High Court.
- KOMBO MOYANA , ZIMBABWE'S first black central bank governor Kombo James Moyana has died from covid.Moyana, who was at the helm of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe between 1983 and 1993, succumbed to Covid-19.
- UK CORONAVIRUS DEATHS-Nearly 96,000 deaths registered by 8 January 2021.
President Robert Mugabe has been implored to step down and allow other Zimbabweans to take over from him, South Africa’s opposition Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) said on Monday.
The Julius Malema led outfit said political power should not have to be taken to the grave.
“We believe that the Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, should take a lesson and accept that other Zimbabweans can also lead whilst maintaining and sustaining his great legacy.
“He must give way and not set an example that if one does the things he did for Zimbabwean people, like land expropriation, then one must stay in power till death,” read part of the statement.
Mugabe has been in power since independence in 1980.
His spokesperson George Charamba on Monday told local media that Mugabe (92) is not contemplating retiring soon.
Zanu PF has long picked Mugabe to be the party’s presidential candidate in 2018 elections.
Added the EFF, “Political power should not have to be taken to the grave. Great political leadership in the continent ought to live to see others lead the country to demonstrate to the whole world that theirs is an immovable legacy as Fidel Castro of Cuba did. In addition, this allows them to also give guidance and counsel,”.
Last week, Malema made headlines after he called on Mugabe to step down, saying it was time for the Zimbabwean leader “to go”.
“We love Robert Mugabe for who he is, although we accept it’s time for him to step down.
“Like Castro did, handing over power to his brother, President Mugabe must do the same,”. Source – Byo24News