- ZIMBABWEAN TWINS, JAILED 14 AND 15 YEARS FOR RAPING AND SEXUALLY ASSAULTING an 11-year-old girl over a period of several months in UK
- ARTISANAL MINERS, ATTACKED AND INJURED EIGHT PEOPLE WITH MACHETES IN ESIGODINI IN A a three-day gold war that saw two alleged gold barons being arrested.
- SO , ZEC CHAIRPERSON JUSTICE PRISCILLA CHIGUMBA HAS A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP WITH ZANU PF CABINET MINISTER Winston Chitando. This presents a clear conflict of interest: if Zanu PF loses the election her lover will lose his job. She must do the right thing and resign. Ndatenda
- DOMBOSHAVA MAN ( 38) ARRESTED FOR ALLEGEDLY ATTEMPTING to kill his three children by poisoning them.
- BULAWAYO MAN ARRESTED FOR ASSAULTING WIFE AND SHAVING HER HEAD WITH AN OKAPI KNIFE after she followed him to a sports bet shop to stop him from "wasting money."
THE people of Zimbabwe must continue to fight poverty, unemployment and inequality “to give meaning to the years of sacrifice during the liberation struggle”, exiled music guru Thomas “Mukanya” Mapfumo has said in a statement marking his 70th birthday.
The Lion of Zimbabwe, as Mapfumo is known by his legion of fans, has, since the days of the liberation struggle, used his music to highlight the injustice, corruption, grinding poverty, human rights violation and economic decline in the country.
“I wish to take this opportunity to thank the Almighty for taking me this far. It is indeed a blessing. I send special gratitude to my family, the people of Zimbabwe and our fans from across the globe for supporting our music all these years.
“It has been an odious journey but we have endured under difficult circumstances and we will continue giving our people hope as they struggle to survive in a very harsh political and economic environment,” said Mapfumo in a statement.
Mapfumo who is in self-imposed exile in America, said he would have wished to spend the occasion of his birthday in the country of his birth, Zimbabwe.
“It would have been my wish to celebrate these 70 years of life in my country of birth, Zimbabwe reconnecting with our legion of fans we have starved of live performances for close to a decade. My heart will forever be in Zimbabwe and I hope to return very soon.
“To the people of Zimbabwe, we must continue to fight poverty, unemployment and inequality to give meaning to the years of sacrifice during the liberation struggle.
“For us to achieve this we would have to take radical decisions in order to change the underlying systemic political and economic crisis Zimbabwe faces today,” he said.
Mapfumo said there was a lot of work to be done in the country to provide education, skills and decent work opportunities especially to the youths.
“We still have a long way to go to create the society for which we have dedicated our lives of struggle.”
Zanu PF, which has been on a collision course with Mukanya for many years due to the latter’s criticism of the ruling party’s leadership style, is under pressure to provide the two million jobs it promised while campaigning for the 2013 elections.
Meanwhile, Mapfumo also lamented the scourge of piracy after his latest album, Danger Zone, was affected and he appealed to government to act. by Showbiz correspondent-newzimbabwe
photo-We have endured under difficult circumstances … Thomas Mapfumo musicinafricanet