- ZNA Brighton Matura murdered his girlfriend Fungayi Tendayi and shot himself to death on Wednesday morning at Nyimo shopping centre in Sanyati.
- TWO MURDER ACCUSED INDIVIDUALS INCLUDING THE son of former Midlands Provincial Affairs minister Jason Machaya, Foster, died in a car crash on Wednesday night along the Gweru-Mvuma Road in an accident that also claimed the life of a popular Gweru gold baron who was awaiting trial for murder.
- JUST LIKE AT TSVANGIRAI'S FUNREAL IN 2018, TEMPERS ONCE AGAIN FLARED up from he rowdy, violent MDC youth in Gutu, when Khuphe, arrived to pay her last respects to the MDC Alliance leader Nelson Chamisa was burying his late mother in Gutu on Tuesday.
- THE RULING PARTY ZANU-PF YESTERDAY SAID IT WOULD DEAL HARSHLY WITH THE PLANNED PROTESTS AGAINST PRESIDENT MNANGAGWA'S government on July 31, evoking memories of killings by the army of civilians in 2018 and January last year. "To Chamisa, we say don't be a coward, you are always never found in front. If you do whatever you are threatening, come to front and face the risks," Chinamasa challenged
- FOUR PRISONERS AND ONE PRISON OFFICER at Bulawayo Prison have tested positive for Covid-19 , visitors banned countrywide, with immediate effect .
ZIMBABWE SWITCHES TO SUBSTITUTE ARV drugs
for the second line drugs for anti-retroviral treatment (ART) which is currently in short supply.
In an interview with the Daily News yesterday, deputy minister of Health John Mangwiro said Ritonavir or Kaletra drugs were in short supply not only in Zimbabwe but the world over.
In 2016, the ministry of Health and Child Care launched new ART national guidelines which recommended the use of Atazanavir/Ritonavir by both adolescents and adults on second line ART.
“We are switching some of the patients to the alternative Dolutegravir combination.
“We wanted to do this gradually and according to a plan that we have mapped out, but now we are accelerating the switch due to the shortage.
“We have already sent out communication to our various centres that they must not shortchange patients.
“The patients are safe and should not be worried as we are putting them on this new drug,” Mangwiro said on the side-lines of a donation of personal protective equipment to Chitungwiza Hospital by Pretoria Portland Cement recently.
The deputy minister emphasised that patients were safe to use the new drug as government was already making headways to introduce new combinations.
“There are about four or five drugs that people living with HIV used to take that have since been replaced and that is what happens with medicines.
“Some of them become old-fashioned and need to be replaced according to international standards and trends,” he said.
In a statement last week, acting permanent secretary in the ministry of Health, Gibson Mhlanga, advised that people living with HIV would only be given one months’ supply of drugs instead of the three months they were accustomed to.
An HIV drug regimen has three lines, with the first taken by most patients who seek treatment early after infection while the second is more expensive and is given to people who are resistant to the first while the third line is the most expensive and most toxic. – Daily News