- Long-serving Zimpapers Masvingo Correspondent Walter Mswazie ,45 died from kidney failure at Makurira Memorial Clinic today.
- TENS OF THOUSANDS OF BRITONS stranded abroad by the coronavirus will be flown home under a new arrangement between the government and airlines.
- BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSE came minutes before Italian restaurant chain Carluccio's also fell into administration.
- BrightHouse - the biggest rent-to-own operator in the UK - has collapsed, after an influx of compensation claims for selling to people, many on low incomes and difficulty to access credit from mainstream lenders unable to repay and its shops were then shut owing to coronavirus restrictions on retailers.
- Zimbabweans fled towns yesterday to their rural homes for food security over the 21-day Corona lockdown which came into effect last night
In what is an open admission to one of the major disasters created by the murderous, racist white farm eviction programme led by Mugabe’s war veterans in the early 2000, the Meteorological Services Department now says that Zimbabwe’s weather predictions are flawed because they have been massively compromised in perfomance.
This all stems from the fact that Zimbabwe had a great network of volunteer weather stations distributed across the commercial farming sector, which were all unfortunately destroyed by the disastrous land reform programme.
There was a sharp fall in volunteer weather stations which were , in general manned by the evicted former white commercial farmers who actually held the basic required training by Zimbabwe’s government in how to interpret and use the data accrued from the weather forecasting equipment.
The voluntary yet necessary daily recording and submission of data pertaining to the weather , to the meteorological department for analysis is no more as the Zanu PF led land reform programme resulted in a drop from over 3,000 volunteer weather stations that the Zimbabwe had up and running down to just about 415 today even though we still have about 859 in existence .
The new land owners or farmers were clueless as to the need for volunteer submission of weather data , untrained and unable to use the then available instruments , not prepared to take responsibility for the equipment after land demarcation.
The ministry of Agriculture, and Technical Extension Services (AGRITEX) would train volunteers in the use of the weather equipment, data recording and submission of weather patterns but the turn over of trained volunteers as they left for greener pastures after the collapse of agriculture in Zimbabwe, meant that there was no continuity in the exercise, a fact exacerbated by the lack of government resources for continuous training of new volunteers at the stations .
Weather equipment is also in a dilapidated state through lack of use, vandalism and theft at unmanned and now obsolete stations.
To the discerning eye, the Zanu PF regime, responsible for the collapse of agriculture and thus the lack of proper weather forecast would indirectly be responsible for failure to predict and properly plan for the fall in Kariba dam water levels and a typical excuse for the current nationwide power cuts in Zimbabwe because of the inability of the Kariba Hydro power station to perform at required levels.
We were recently warned to brace for further power cuts towards the end of 2015 into early 2016 as the Kariba dam water levels fall further. by Sibusiso Ngwenya.
photo-MP Chinotimba, the former city council security guard and self styled commander of the Zanu PF war veterans led grab.