- PRESIDENT Mnangagwa appoints business associate John Mushayavanhu as new RBZ governor
- WESTERN DIPLOMATS call CHAMISA incompetent or a Zanu- PF front.
- ZEC removes CCC recalled MPs from ballot papers
- BREAKING NEWS: Passport-Free Travel Between Zimbabwe and Botswana using only national IDs for citizens of both countries
- ZIMBABWE BLOW as Britain scraps dependent visa for migrant workers
Chibaya’s stunning utterances could put him on a collision course with secretary general Douglas Mwonzora and vice president Elias Mudzuri who are both said to be pushing for every post to be contested as per the party’s democratic tenets.
Two factions, one aligned to Chamisa and the other to Mwonzora, have emerged with Chamisa’s faction, however, said to be enjoying the support of most national leaders while Mwonzora is said to be working harder to get support from the leadership of the provinces.
At an integration meeting held at the party’s provincial offices in Rhodene last weekend, Chibaya said since the MDC brand was formed in 1999 under the leadership of the late Morgan Tsvangirai, they never had a presidential ballot during congresses.
“MDC is a brand and since we formed the party in 1999, we never had a presidential ballot at the congress. This is because our leader, the late Morgan Tsvangirai was the face of that brand.
“Now that president Chamisa was left wearing Tsvangirai’s shoes, we will not have a presidential ballot at congress. Chamisa has taken over as the face of the MDC brand,” said Chibaya.
He said the party will take stern measures against members who may dare campaign for positions at congress. Source Byo24