- 3National Railways of ZIMBABWE workers died last night in train crash between Mutare and Machipanda
- ZANU-PF initiates MNANGAGWA third term in office campaign
- 'I and my family are Zanu- PF and will not donate to opposition '-Chivayo
- Jailed Russian Alexei Navalny an opposition leader, has died
- 2 South Africa soldiers killed, 2 wounded in DRC (SADC) training.
Ethiopia Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has announced on state television that army Chief of Staff, General Seare Mekonnen, has been shot dead in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa while trying to prevent a coup attempt against the administration in Ethiopia’s northern Amhara region.
A statement from the Prime Minister’s office added that:”The coup attempt in Amhara regional state is against the constitution and is intended to scupper the hard-won peace of the region. This illegal attempt should be condemned by all Ethiopians and the federal government has full capacity to overpower this armed group.”
The ruling party in Amhara has accused a former security chief, who was released from jail after Mr Abiy came to power, of being behind the violence.
Since his election last year, Mr Abiy has moved to end political repression by releasing political prisoners, removing bans on political parties and prosecuting officials accused of human rights abuses.
The US state department has warned its staff in Addis Ababa to stay inside, saying it is aware of reports of gunfire in the city on Saturday. Source – BBC