- HANGING TREEE: Where British settlers hung nine Ndebele warriors more than 100 years ago at the height of the Umvukela (Matabeleland uprisings) in 1896-7, along JMN Nkomo Street between Connaught Avenue and Masotsha Ndlovu Avenue, is a national monument as it symbolises both subjugation and resistance to colonialism by the Zimabwe’s citizens.
- 300 Cowdray Park opposition members mostly defectors from MDC-Alliance joined Zanu-PF during yesterday’s meeting
- Borrowdale road and Harare Drive traffic lights hit-and-run driver arrested after a recording of the incident went viral on social media.
- Financial institutions have grouped under the Bankers Association and resolved not to accept the state-issued 99-year farm leases.
- OPPOSITION party Zapu says it will this week write to Parliament seeking to recall its former members, who are now part of the ruling Zanu-PF.
THREE Drug dealers caught with 230 grammes of cocaine valued at $1 932 000 from Brazil on Ethiopian Airline at Harare Robert Mugabe airport.
Patience Murinda (23), Siegfried Zibusiso Ndlovu (33) and Karoline Silva Mafra (23) were facing charges of contravening the dangerous drugs act when they appeared before Harare Magistrate Mrs Babra Mateko.
They were advised to apply bail at the High Court.
Allegations are that on April 1 information was received to the effect that Mafra was coming to Zimbabwe from Brazil with a contraband of cocaine aboard Ethiopian Airways and was expected to arrive at Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport the following day.
It is the State’s case that acting on the information, detectives from the Criminal Investigations Department Drugs, Narcotics and Canine Harare, Homicide as well as Law and Order proceeded to the airport and intercepted Mafra.
The court heard that Murinda and Ndlovu arrived at the airport driving a BMW vehicle to pick Mafra and they were arrested by the detectives.
They were interviewed and it was discovered that they were acting on instruction from one Nigerian called ‘Boby’, no further particulars known, to receive Mafra and accompany her to Graceland guest house in Marlborough Harare, where she was booked and were supposed to give Boby the drugs.
It is alleged after a thorough interview Murinda and Ndlovu led detectives to their residence where they recovered seven fabric samples from their bedroom packed in a plastic paper bag.
The State alleges in between the fabric and plastic there were white powered drugs suspected to cocaine. Preliminary field tests proved to be cocaine. Herald.