- ZIMBABWE:All bodies are to be treated as COVID-19 contaminated and all burials will now be done within 24 hours
- CORONAVIRUS-New York records 630 deaths in a single day with deaths rising to 3,565 in the state and 113,704 positive cases,
- CORONAVIRUS-BORIS JOHNSON has written to opposition party leaders, to come together in the national interest against Covid-19
- COVID -19: Gove confirms deaths of 7 NHS staff, warning, whatever the weather 'don't go outside to lakes and the countryside .
- 14 of 15 Ethiopians arrested, while hiding at a Gwanda homestead one week, failed to cross into SA due to Covid-19 border closure of Beitbridge Border Post
A ZIMBABWE Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company (ZETDC) employee who recently appeared before the court in Gweru on allegations of raping his 4-year-old daughter was on Friday slapped with an effective 9 years in jail.
The man, who cannot be named to protect identity of the child, is 39 years old and lives in Gweru’s Mkoba 6 suburb.
Regional magistrate Morgan Nemadire sentenced him to 12 years but conditionally suspended three years.
Nemadire said the moral blameworthiness of the man was high as he had betrayed the trust society bestowed on him as a father to protect his child.
The court said a deterrent sentence was proper in the circumstances.
Prosecutors said that on February 8 this year the man took his daughter and her little brother from their grandmother’s house in Mkoba 16 to his place of residence.
Upon arrival at the house the kids started playing outside but the girl later on got inside the house.
The man then took his daughter to the bedroom where he removed her undergarments and laid her on his bed before raping her once.
A few hours later the man took the two children back to their grandmother where he told her (grandmother) that he wanted to go back with his daughter since she was not attending school but the girl refused.
When the grandmother wanted to cut her toe nails on the 9th February, the little girl refused saying she would bleed from her privates as happened at her father’s house.
Curious, the grandmother examined the girl and saw reddish marks.
A report was made to the police leading to the arrest of the father source-newzimbabwe