- TWO Zimbabwe Honda Fit pirate taxi drivers regularly offered lifts then robbed Bulawayo passengers of money, bank cards and phones at gunpoint.
- THREE armed Zimbabweans steal US$180 000 from Mr Farai Vengesai (27) , a Nketa 6, Bulawayo man,visiting relatives in Killarney suburb.
- FALSE MEDIA ALERT, brings hundreds Zimbabwe students to Zanu PF HQ, then sealed off as military conducted a bomb sweep
- DETHRONED Ntabazinduna Chief Ndiweni, has left the country for the United Kingdom for a cataract operation, after eye surgery in Bulawayo
- 'Zanu PF Gokwe MP Chanda (41) and Ward 13 Councillor Chirongoma (34) arrested for extortion and stealing food aid'.
AT least 20% of sex workers are HIV positive with calls being made to include this key sector in the country’s HIV and AIDS programming.
This was revealed by the Centre for Sexual Health and HIV AIDS Research at a Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights HIV media forum in Harare Monday.
Sibongile Mtetwa of the Sexual Health rights lobby group said if not included in the national HIV programming, sex workers would continue to spread the virus.
“According to the statistics we have from 2009 up to 2015, there are 52,214 sex workers throughout the country,” she said.
“26,090 of them have tested for Sexually Transmitted Infections TIs, and 10,922 have tested positive for HIV.
“There are 4,060 who have been referred for further HIV management.”
Sex workers, homosexuals and prisoners have been identified as among the most affected.
Prostitution is illegal in Zimbabwe and stakeholders in the health sector say this has led to the discrimination of sex workers by health workers.
Asked whether they recognise these key populations in the national AIDS programming, National AIDS Council Key population officer Tendai Mhaka said work is in progress to include sex workers in their projects.
“Just like the press releases we receive from GALZ, we want to know what is happening in their community because they are important stakeholders in the Health sector,” she responded.
“We have been very courageous to take this on board because we know that these key groups are there and by ignoring them we will be doing a disservice to the nation.”
Recently, the minister of health and child care Dr David Parirenyatwa said government was going to engage key populations in HIV and AIDS programming. source-newzimbabwe