- MDC ALLIANCE LEADER NELSON CHAMISA has ordered Victoria Falls mayor Somvelo Dhlamini to step down.
- ZIMBABWE CIRCUS CONTINUES AS the Ambrose Mutinhiri-led National Patriotic Front has disbanded and its officials are rejoining Zanu-PF after realising that the events that led to the removal of the Robert Mugabe-led government in November last year were in the best interests of the country.
- VICE PRESIDENT RTD GEN CHIWENGA advised to sieze total Zimbabwe power at all costs amid reported growing suspicion by his personal military advisor and confidant, exiled and fallen Ethiopian autarch, Mengistu Haile Mariam,
- 'ACCIDENT: A Guruve bound, Mhofu kombi reportedly overturned in Guruve and six people died this morning at about 8am'
- FERRY DISASTER: OVER 200 PEOPLE FEARED DEAD on Lake Victoria in Tanzania after the boat capsized and began to sink and many are feared trapped in the hull..
ZIMBABWE National Liberation War Veterans’ Association, (ZNLWVA) secretary-general Victor Matemadanda says former VP Mphoko was not fired and when Mugabe resigned he was supposed to be acting President, but he deserted.” of deserting went AWOL and therefore does not deserving an exit package for his service.
In an interview with NewsDay, Matemadanda accused the former Vice-President of playing to the gallery by threatening President Emmerson Mnangagwa and government with court action over unpaid benefits.
“He is just seeking public relevance. What we know is that at the time Operation Restore Legacy was initiated, he was in Japan on government business and he chose not to come back to the country and instead went AWOL,” he said.
“He was not fired from government and when President Robert Mugabe resigned he was supposed to be acting President, but he deserted.”
Matemadanda said Mphoko should therefore not expect Zimbabweans to pay pension benefits for a person who allegedly absconded his government post.
“He can’t talk of a pension because he was not fired neither did he tender a resignation letter. By the time President Mnangagwa was appointed and inaugurated, Mphoko had deserted, he never bothered to come back and submit himself to government,” he said.
Mphoko has through his lawyer, Welshman Ncube, written to government demanding his exit package.
The ZNLWVA secretary-general, a close ally of Mnangagwa, led the fight to dislodge Mugabe from power.
Matemadanda said Mnangagwa did not hold any grudges against Mphoko, saying he had shown this by honouring government obligations to main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai.
“He is a progressive leader who departed from the politics of hate when he did us proud by visiting MDC leader and former Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and giving him his dues which had been held back by Mugabe for years,” he said.
Mphoko was not reachable yesterday while his lawyer, Ncube, was not answering his phone. Source – Newsday